India’s Mithali Raj retires from T20 cricket

Indian cricket star Mithali Raj announced on Tuesday that he will retire from the Twenty20 internationals to focus on the 2021 World Cup. Raj, 36, the top scorer in the women's international match, made a surprise exit after making herself available for home selection for the home series against South Africa from September 24.

"After representing India at the T20 internationals since 2006, I want to retire from t20Is to focus on preparing for the 2021 World Cup," Raj said in a the statement released by the Cricket Control Board India (BCCI).

"My the dream is always to win a World Cup for my country, and I want to do my best. "I thank THE BCCI for their continued support and wish the Indian T20 team the best of luck as they prepare for the home series against South Africa Women."

Raj, who has led India in 32 T20 matches, including three in the World Cup, has scored 2,364 points in 89 games since 2006 and is the first Indian to reach the record of 2,000 points in the shortest format.

The Top-Notch thresher has amassed 6,720 runs in 203 ODI games since making her international debut in 1999. Raj led India to the finals of the 2017 Women's World Cup before losing the title to host England. New Zealand will host the 2021 centrepiece edition of 50 and over.

the
His place in the T20 squad remained uncertain after being ruled out of the team during last year's T20 World Cup semi-final defeat to England, triggering a High-Level brawl with team staff. Raj scored an unbeaten goal of 30 of 32 balls in his last T20 outing against England in March